Toronto Motorcycle Accident Lawyer
Were you injured in a motorcycle wreck caused by someone else’s negligence? Find out how to get compensated for your losses by working with a Toronto motorcycle crash attorney.While everyone who rides a motorcycle is likely well aware that he or she is at increased risk for serious injury in the event of a crash, that doesn’t automatically make the biker at fault in these cases. This should be obvious, but motorcyclists often face exactly this stereotype when attempting to file an injury claim seeking compensation after a wreck. Getting fully compensated for the damages and injuries caused by a motorcycle accident is often a difficult task—but by no means an impossible one. It simply requires building a case that utilizes all of the available evidence to prove what really happened and who was responsible for it. If this describes the situation that you’re currently in, a Toronto motorcycle accident lawyer from the Mirian Law Firm can help you overcome the widespread bias against bikers and recover the full and fair settlement you deserve.
Insurers Love to Take Advantage of Negative Biker StereotypesWhether you wear full riding leathers or take a more casual approach to driving a motorcycle, no one is justified in assigning blame to you purely on the basis that you were the biker in the crash. Sadly, stereotypes such as the “reckless biker” are probably one of the main reasons that injured motorcyclists don’t get all the compensation they deserve. Under Ontario’s Negligence Act, your compensation will be reduced according to how at fault you were for the accident. If an insurer or opposing attorney can play up stereotypes to convince the court that you were driving recklessly, it could cost you big financially. A motorcycle accident lawyer from our firm will ensure that this doesn’t happen to you. Whether the insurer is trying to get you to sign away your right to seek compensation or unfairly portraying you as a dangerous motorcyclist, we’ll find the flaws in their case and expose them.
What Really Caused the Motorcycle Wreck?Overcoming the often unfair tactics used by the insurance company will require conducting a full investigation to collect the evidence necessary for building a case that proves what really caused the motorcycle accident. From identifying witnesses to gathering physical evidence to requesting essential documentation and records, we’ll be able to determine who was at fault for your crash regardless of the circumstances:
- Distracted Driving – Driver distractions can take many forms, but cell phone use is by far the most common. This may require requesting records from the driver’s cell service provider, while other distractions might rely on physical evidence in the vehicle or witness accounts.
- Drunk Driving – Even if the intoxicated driver managed to somehow not get arrested for drunk driving, it might still be possible to prove alcohol use by identifying where the driver was coming from and what he or she was doing there (e.g., drinking at a bar).
- Speeding – While motorcyclists are often assumed to speed all the time, other drivers are just as likely to drive at reckless speeds. When bikers get hit by speeding auto drivers, the injuries are likely to be catastrophic and the compensation essential to recovery.
- Defective Motorcycle Parts – One bad part on a bike might be enough to cause a malfunction and a dangerous wreck. Your lawyer will need to identify where the defect occurred and who caused it, whether that was the parts manufacturer or the shop that services your motorcycle.
- Hazardous Road Conditions – Dangerous road conditions such as potholes and uneven shoulders are especially hazardous for bikers. When these factors cause a crash, the government entity or construction company responsible might be financially liable.
Full Compensation for Any Motorcycle Crash InjuryProving who was at fault is just one step in the equation, however. It’s just as important to understand the full value of your claim. In addition to your property damage and lost wages, the exact nature of your injuries will be central to this determination. A Toronto motorcycle accident lawyer from our office will help you assess exactly how your crash injuries will affect your life, what the full financial cost of your recovery will be, and whether there will be any lasting damage or disabilities. These are just a few of the motorcycle accident injuries that we’ve helped Ontario residents recover full and fair settlements for:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBI)
- Spinal injuries
- Broken bones and fractures
- Burns and nerve damage
- Limb loss
- Internal organ damage
- Disfiguring lacerations
The Full Settlement You Are OwedWhile the Ontario Health Insurance Plan should cover the majority of your essential care, there will inevitably be treatments you’ll need that fall outside of what’s covered. Additionally, you’ll have a number of financial losses caused by the accident that will all need to be compensated. And of course, motorcycle crashes are traumatic events that lead to substantial lost quality of life, which also needs to be factored into your compensation. Your motorcycle crash attorney will work with you to evaluate what your accident has cost you—and what it is likely to cost you in the future. These are just a few of the damages that you might be eligible to recover from the at-fault party:
- Out-of-pocket medical expenses for chiropractic care, mental health treatment, prescription medication, and more
- Lost income and earning ability
- Motorcycle repair and replacement, as well as other property damage
- Home renovations made necessary by your crash injuries
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and mental anguish